We're always looking for ways to give our users the freedom and flexibility that their workflow deserves. Ever since Luna Display’s launch in the fall of 2018, we've continued to ask ourselves, “Is there more that we could be doing with Luna?”
The answer was sitting right under our noses in the form of all of the idle Macs we had laying around our offices... What if we could turn people’s e-waste into extra screen space?
Introducing Mac-to-Mac Mode in Luna Display 4.0
Our all-new Mac-to-Mac Mode allows you to use any Mac as a second display. Finally, you can give purpose to your old Macs lying around! No need to have any idle devices. The combinations are nearly endless:
- iMac + MacBook Pro
- MacBook + MacBook
- Mac mini + MacBook
Yes, you can even use your MacBook as the main display for your mini!
Minimum Compatibility Requirements
- The Primary Mac requires macOS 10.11 El Capitan or later
- The Secondary Mac requires macOS 10.8 Mountain Lion or later
- You will need the latest version of Luna Display on all devices. Free download available here: lunadisplay.com/hello
- Internet connection is necessary as USB is only supported for Mac-to-iPad Mode at this time
Use any Mac as a second display for any Mac laptop...
- Trackpad support for both computers
- Keyboard support for both computers
- Compatible with macOS 10.8 Mountain Lion or later. See details belowab
Getting started with Luna Display's Mac-to-Mac Mode
If you're interested in trying this setup, here's everything you need to get started:
Primary Mac: This is the main Mac you will be using — the host Mac from which all of your programs and windows will be projected. The Primary Mac requires macOS 10.11 El Capitan or later.a
Secondary Mac: This will be your extended display — the receiving Mac onto which you may drag any of your program windows. The Secondary Mac requires macOS 10.8 Mountain Lion or later.b
A reliable network connection: Mac-to-Mac Mode will work whether you are working wirelessly via WiFi or tethered to your router.
- Luna Display: Luna Display is our little red device, which turns your iPad into a second or main display and now also has the ability to turn your Mac into a second display! Along with the device, you will need the Luna Display apps for the Primary and Secondary Mac, which are free and available for download at lunadisplay.com/hello.
When you’re ready, you can find a complete set of instructions for getting setup here: lunadisplay.com/pages/mac-to-mac-mode
How to Update
You will need to update the Luna Mac app on your Primary Mac. You will also need to download a different Luna Mac app on your Secondary Mac. If you aren’t automatically prompted to update the Mac app, then you will need to re-download and replace the Primary Mac app to update. You can download the latest version as well as the Secondary Mac app here: lunadisplay.com/hello
Visit the iOS App Store to update your iPad app and maintain compatibility for iPad-to-Mac mode.
Remember, whether you are using Mac-to-Mac Mode or iPad-to-Mac Mode, all devices require the latest version of the Luna Display App for the Modes to work.
Questions or Feedback?